Phased Restart & Permitting of The Santa Ynez Unit (SYU) - Exxchange
- ExxonMobil’s Santa Ynez Unit (SYU) consists of three offshore platforms — Hondo, Heritage and Harmony — and an onshore oil and natural gas processing facility in Goleta, California.
- ExxonMobil is pursuing a temporary trucking permit that would allow for the phased restart of SYU, which has been shut down since 2015.
- The trucking project includes minor modifications to the ExxonMobil facilities so that they can resume partial production and temporarily transport crude to refineries until a pipeline alternative becomes available.
Help us reach our goal
- Santa Barbara County prefers not to transport crude oil by rail or boat. With no pipeline option currently available, trucking is the safest, most efficient means of transport.
- The temporary trucking permit would restore critical funding for schools and public safety throughout Santa Barbara County. For the 10 years prior to the shutdown of SYU, ExxonMobil paid $45 million in county taxes – funds that went directly to local schools, public safety, and other important county services.
- The temporary trucking permit for SYU will increase energy supplies locally, where it is produced under strict regulations.